Overview & Benefits of Long-term Internship
What is long-term internship?Students spend 8 to 16 consecutive months working in a paid internship position prior to the last year of their degree program. A long-term internship provides a more extensive experience than the short-term option, which ensures that students are able to work on advanced projects, seeing them through from beginning to end.
Why should you participate?
- Gain hands-on experience related to your academic program
- Develop marketable skills employers are looking for in new recruits
- Clarify your career goals and objectives
- Earn a salary to help offset the cost of tuition
- Build a professional network with employers and professionals in your field of interest
- Many employers view internship work terms as an opportunity to assess candidates for future full-time positions after graduation
Who can participate?
See Eligibility Criteria for long-term internship
What is the enrollment process?
- Online registration begins August 23, 2021 on Western Connect
- Internship information sessions are available annually in the Fall Term.
- Complete all steps as outlined on the Application Process page.
What are the costs?
- The internship fee is $500 per work term, and includes your course tuition fee.
- 8 month: $1,000
- 9-12 month: $1,500
- 13-16 month: $2,000
What does an employer expect?
- Motivated and enthusiastic students
- Clear, neat and organized resumes
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ethical and professional judgment
- Responsible and accountable student employees